Construction Update – Phases 4 & 5
Construction of improvements along 127th Street has reached the final phase of completion and is continuing on schedule. In August, one lane in each direction will be open for vehicle travel from Black Bob to Pflumm. Currently, the contractor is finishing work on the retaining walls at Rene and the new roadway from Hallet to Pflumm. Work at the intersections of 127th & Black Bob and 127th & Pflumm is also underway. Final clean-up and completion work will continue through the fall of this year. Trail detours will remain in place until the roadway is open.
Construction Update - Phases 1 & 2 Complete
As of August 20, 127th Street from Black Bob to Olathe East opened to traffic with one lane in each direction, completing Phases 1 and 2. Please be aware that this is still a construction zone, and drivers are reminded to abide by posted speed limits and travel safely.
The next section of 127th Street to be improved, Phase 3 (Olathe East to Hallet Street), is scheduled for completion by November 2013. During this phase, access at Greenwood Street and Hagan Street will be closed with detours provided.
Finally, the east portion of the project from Hallet to Pflumm will be constructed and complete in 2014. Access to Gallery will be restricted during the 2014 spring/summer months, however access will be provided across 127th Street to the church. The intersection of 127th Street/Rene will be restricted during the 2014 spring/summer months. Rene traffic will access Pflumm via Widmer and 129th Streets.
The City of Olathe has hired Pyramid Contractos to construct improvements on 127th Street from Black Bob to Pflumm. Improvements will include upgrading the roadway from a two-lane facility to a four-lane divided arterial, with new sidewalks and a multi-use path. This project will complete the 127th Street corridor improvements to the eastern City limits at Pflumm.
Tentative Construction Schedule: (Click the image below for a detailed map)
- Construction is scheduled to begin in May 2013 and be completed by Fall 2014
- The west portion of the project (Black Bob to Hallet) will be constructed in 2013
- The east portion of the project (Hallet to Pflumm) will be constructed in 2014
127th Street will be constructed in phases requiring segments of the roadway to be closed during the construction process. Access will be maintained through alternate routes.
- Access to Constance will be restricted during the 2013 summer months. Constance traffic will use a temporary connection to the high school drive to access Black Bob.
- Access to the high school from 127th Street will be restricted during the 2013 summer months. Full access will be restored prior to the start of school in August 2013.
- Greenwood Street will be closed north of the high school driveway during the 2013 fall months.
- Access to Gallery will be restricted during the 2014 spring/summer months. Access will be provided across 127th Street to the Church.
- Access to Rene will be restricted during the 2014 spring/summer months. Rene traffic will access Pflumm via Widmer and 129th Streets.
The City of Olathe hired GBA to complete the final design for improvements on 127th Street from Black Bob to Pflumm. Improvements include upgrading the corridor to include two lanes in each direction, tying in to recent improvements from Mur-Len to Black Bob and the existing alignment to the east. Construction began with utility relocations in 2012, while the majority of construction will take place in 2013-2014.
Two open house public meetings have been held and the final meeting is scheduled for May 14. Click on Public Meeting Info for details.
To learn more about plans for the proposed improvements, revisit this website to view project documents and watch for public meeting announcements. To provide feedback, please plan to attend the open house meetings, or click here (to go to Feedback/Comments).
Design Plans: Black Bob to Pflumm
To download a PDF version click here.